Trends on the internet are driven by views, likes, and interests of the public on that particular subject. Easy-to-follow culinary hacks, recipes, and challenges have recently taken over social media after garnering popularity in lockdown. The #tiktokfood has over 55.6B views on Tiktok and the #foodstagram has over 103M posts. Moreover, there are thousands of blogs and articles on the internet explaining various recent food trends, recipes, and challenges. The best thing about these popular food trends is their simple and fun recipes. So, let’s go back and explore a few of the most popular food trends that took over the internet in the past couple of years.
1. Popular Food trends- Gigi Hadid Pasta
The Internet went crazy when Gigi Hadid posted her pasta sauce recipe. Now it is collectively known as the Gigi Hadid Pasta.
Here is the recipe for the pasta directly quoted from her Instagram story.
¼ cup olive oil
1 small clove of garlic, diced
¼ green onion
¼ cup tomato paste
½ cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vodka
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
225 grams of shells pasta
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup parmesan cheese
Basil, chopped, to serve
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Firstly, in a large saucepan: heat 1/4 cup olive oil add a diced small clove of garlic and 1/4 shallot. Cook till soft.
2. Add 1/4 cup of tomato paste. Cook till it’s a bit darker and caramelized. Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream and vodka and cook till it is evaporated.
3. After that add a tablespoon of red pepper flakes. You can use more if you love it spicier.
4. Continue to whisk until everything is well blended. Salt & pepper to taste. Take the sauce off the heat.
5. Separately prepare the pasta. Shells are used by the chef, but Orecchiette would also work. Before draining the pasta, save 14 ounces of the cooking water.
6. Add the butter to the pan. Over medium heat, stir until the butter has melted and the sauce is “sauccyyyy,” as Hadid describes it.
7. After that, add the pasta to the sauce, along with the pasta water. Stir in the parmesan cheese. To taste, season with extra salt and pepper.
8. Finally to serve, top with a dusting of parmesan cheese and basil.
2. Popular food trends- Salmon rice bowl
When Emily Mariko made a video on TikTok making a Salmon Rice bowl, everyone instantly fall in love with it and started recreating the video by following the recipe. Emily’s Tiktok shows her flaking leftover cooked salmon, topping it with refrigerated rice, adding an ice cube, wrapping it in parchment paper, and warming it in the microwave. The ice cube melts a little and steams, moistening and heating the fish and rice. After that, all you have to do is add soy sauce, kewpie mayo, and sriracha. Avocado slices and a side of kimchi complete the rice bowl. Open a package of Korean seaweed/laver and scoop up a small amount of seaweed and rice using chopsticks.
The beauty of this rice bowl is its simplicity and easy recipe.
Half an avocado (optional)
1. Firstly, Place your salmon on a platter and flake it gently.
2. Secondly, top the salmon with a serving of rice.
3. Thirdly, top with a dash of soy sauce, sriracha, and kewpie mayo.
4. After that combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
5. Optional: add half an avocado, kimchi, and any other sides of your taste to your bowl.
6. Finally, to make the perfect bite, wrap a chopstick full of rice around a piece of toasted seaweed and enjoy!
3. Popular Food trends- Cloud Breads
If you’re on TikTok, simply search for #cloudbread. You’ll find the fluffiest, most improbable big puffs of bread you’ve ever seen there. They are unquestionably a visual feast for the eyes. It’s no surprise that they’re so popular on the internet. Egg whites, sugar, and cornstarch are all you need to make it. Cloud bread is just a gently cooked meringue that has been given a new name.
- 3 egg whites
- 2 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Food Colouring(Optional)
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a baking sheet.
2. Whip the egg whites until they are foamy. Sift in the corn starch and gradually add the sugar. and whip until stiff peaks form
3. If desired, tint with food coloring before scooping onto a baking tray and shaping into a cloud.
4. Bake for 25 minutes and finally serve right away!
4. Popular Food trends- Bubble Tea
Bubble Tea is everywhere, on your friends’ Instagram stories and on your TikTok feed. Also known as boba tea, it is a beverage prepared with tapioca pearls, which are manufactured from the tapioca starch found in the cassava root. Black tea, milk, ice, and tapioca pearls are used to make traditional bubble tea. Bubble tea originated in Taiwan and gained worldwide popularity after being discussed on social media. Tapioca pearls are high in sugar and tend to settle at the bottom of the glass or container into which they are poured. Also, the bubble-like tapioca pearls come in a variety of colors, and their size varies as well.
Because it was sweet, creamy, and refreshing, this drink quickly became popular. Well, preparing bubble Tea yourself can be a bit hassle. So I personally recommend you to visit your bubble tea cafe nearby with your friends and enjoy this refreshing drink if you haven’t yet.
5. Popular Food trends- Baked Feta Pasta
What can we say about the Baked Feta mania that hasn’t been stated already? This trend resulted in a slew of delectably indulgent and surprisingly easy-to-make baked feta pasta. Jenni Häyrinen, a food artist and blogger from Finland, is liable for this. This is the dish for you if you like feta and spaghetti on their own. It’s simple to make, but your friends and family will assume you spent hours working on it just for them.
cherry or grape tomatoes, 2 pt.
1 quartered shallot
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, split 3 garlic cloves, smashed
a pinch of red pepper flakes, crushed
1 block feta (8 oz.)
3 fresh thyme sprigs
basil for garnish
1 lemon’s zest (optional)
pasta (10 oz.)
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine tomatoes, shallot, garlic, and all but 1 tablespoon of oil in a large ovenproof pan or medium baking dish. Toss with a pinch of salt and red pepper flakes to mix.
2. Secondly, drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil over the feta in the center of the tomato mixture. Place thyme sprigs on top of the tomatoes. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the tomatoes have burst and the feta has turned golden.
3. Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente according to package directions in a large pot of boiling salted water. Before draining the pasta, save 12 cups of water.
4. Finally, Toss cooked pasta, conserved pasta water, and lemon zest (if using) into the skillet with tomatoes and feta. At last, serve with basil as a garnish.
6. Popular Food trends- Dalgona Candy
Dalgona, also known as ppopgi in Korea, is a melted sugar and baking soda candy. It is honeycomb toffee also known as Korean Sugar Candy. In the 1970s and 1980s, it was a popular street snack, and it is still enjoyed as a nostalgic dish. After the release of the Squid Game series on Netflix, the popularity of dalgona skyrocketed. Dalgona has a nutty, sweet taste similar to toasted or burned marshmallows and a light, toffee-like texture. Making it is fun and easy. So definitely try preparing it with your friends during a fun cooking session and challenge each other. Here is a simple recipe for you.
- 2 Tbsp sugar, white or light brown
- baking soda, a small pinch
1. Firstly, fill a ladle halfway with sugar and set it over low heat. Stir the sugar occasionally with a chopstick until it begins to dissolve. The sugar will begin to melt around the edges first, taking about 1 minute to reach this stage. After that, Begin stirring more vigorously after this occurs. It will take around 3-4 minutes to liquidize; it should be smooth and lump-free at the end.
2. After that, add a pinch of baking soda slowly and carefully on the edge of the burner (no heat area). Meanwhile, If you use too much, the dalgona will burn and taste bitter so be careful.
Stir until the baking soda is completely dissolved; the mixture will turn a light caramel color. Bring the ladle closer to the fire for 3 to 5 seconds while stirring to keep the mixture warm and frothy.
3. Thirdly, using a silicone spatula, scrape the melted sugar mixture onto a baking sheet covered with a silicone mat or baking paper.
4. Allow it to cool for 45 seconds before lightly tapping it with a silicone spatula to see if the dalgona adheres. If it doesn’t, flatten the dalgona by pressing it down with a hotteok press for 4 to 5 seconds. To push it down, use any smooth, flat, non-stick item, such as a small stainless steel pot.
5. Press a cookie cutter into the center of the candy and rapidly remove it to make a design. Your pattern will come out easily if you press hard and firmly. After that, remove the cookie-cutter as soon as possible.
6. Allow for one minute of cooling time or until the dalgona candy has hardened. Finally, Serve.
7. Spring Rolls
Spring rolls are usually very good for light vegan snacks or as vegan appetizers. They are very popular on the internet. They are tasty and healthy. And in addition to that, they are easy to make. Similarly, You can eyeball the ingredients and use whatever vegetable or even meat or fish you prefer. So, Here is an easy vegan recipe for this tasty and light snack.
- Rice Paper Wrappers
- Soy Sauce or Tamari
- Rice Vinegar
- Lettuce Leaves
- Sliced bell peppers
- Thinly sliced Cucumbers
- Peeled and Julliened Carrots
- Sliced Red Cabbage
- Mint and Basil Leaves
- Sauce of your Choice
Firstly, Warm the water in a shallow, broad dish. Wet the cutting board’s surface lightly. Also, Arrange the vegetables on plates or bowls adjacent to your work area. After that, Prepare a large plate to place your finished spring rolls on top of.
Secondly, dip a rice paper wrapper into the basin of water and circle it around, moistening the entire surface. Place the rice paper on the damp board and smooth it out. On top of the rice paper, place a lettuce leaf. Then, about 1/2 to 1 inch from the bottom of the wrapper, place the veggies, mint, and basil on top.
Thirdly, begin rolling everything towards the middle of the wrapper from the bottom. In the same way, Finish wrapping up the spring roll by folding the left and right sides of the wrapper towards the center. After that, Place the spring roll on your spare plate and continue with the rest of the spring rolls.
Finally, Serve the spring rolls with your favorite sauce. Also, It’s preferable to eat the veggie spring rolls on the same day that they’re made.
You can read more about the trendy comfort foods from our page, click here.
For more increasing food trends around the world, Click here.