There are many foods which you can eat and look forward to eating again. One of them is Kebab. Originally, it is meat made in skewers, but there are plenty of variations. Also, after a nightout, it is the best option to eat. In Greece, after the clubs, we have established to go to the restaurants and eat either souvlaki or kebab. Both of them are considered excellent choices at that time, especially when you are drunk. Generally, it is one of the traditional Greek foods that you want to taste continuously. Nowadays, more and more people are trying to make it at home and it is very easy. No special equipment or procedure is needed.
Below I will show you the recipes for homemade chicken and beef kebab.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 red peppers, cut into thin pieces
- 1 red onion
- 4 flatbreads or pitas
- chilli sauce and chopped lettuce
For the marinade
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp of mild or hot curry powder
- 2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato juice
- 150g natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
Firstly, blend the ingredients of the marinade with some seasoning. Add the chicken, mix well and cover. It is important to leave it to marinate either for 2 hours or overnight. Secondly, put 12 bamboo skewers in cold water or you can use metal skewers. Then, thread the meat onto the skewers, pouring some seasoning and oil. You can also pour pieces of pepper and onion.
(Tip: We soak the bamboo skewers in order to prevent them from burning while cooking.)
Thirdly, grill the kebabs for 15 minutes until they are golden. Remember that the vegetable should be soft and the chicken well cooked, so as to slide off the skewers with ease. In the end, the flatbreads must be warm. Lettuce, chilli sauce, extra yoghurt and lemon are just the ideal combination for kebabs with flatbreads.
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- 1 big egg
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped into thin pieces
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of coriander
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp of oil
For the pita
- 4 large pitas or flatbreads
- 1 cup of lettuce leaves
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/4 large red onion
- Tzatziki sauce or tahini sauce
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 350 F. Then in a large bowl mix the meat with egg, garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Secondly, put the mixture in the oven for 30 minutes or when you see that the top is golden.
- Thirdly, you can slice the meat or wrap it in aluminium foil.
- Eventually, gather the pitas and combine them with the beef kebabs and the rest of the ingredients.
To sum up, these were the recipes for homemade chicken and beef kebabs. As you can see, they are very easy to make at home. You do not need any special equipment and can serve them at a family dinner. Especially if some of your relatives do not know what kebabs are, they are the best option for a family dinner. But do not forget the pitas or the flatbreads. It is very essential to combine the kebabs with the pitas. They will be more delicious. So, try to make them at home and enjoy!